Local News Headlines–4/11/13

A Bryan man has been convicted of sending a bomb threat to Texas State University last October. A jury took about one hour following a two day trial in federal court to find 22-year-old Dereon Kelley guilty. When he is sentenced next month, he faces up to ten years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000. Investigators say Kelley used his cell phone to hack the e-mail account of his former girlfriend to send threats to the admissions office at San Marcos and the following day to Texas A&M.  The defense argued the threats were sent by someone else. Prosecutors say Kelley sent the threats based on cell phone and e-mail records. Kelley awaits federal and district court trials on the A&M charge.

Earlier this week, the Texas House Education committee took testimony on a bill continuing the development of new measurements of student achievement in public schools.  College Station is among 23 districts in a consortium formed two years ago.  Superintendent Eddie Coulson is optimistic about gaining legislative approval this year.  Coulson says the legislation would create a system to asses students that is not reliant high stakes tests and is community based.  Coulson says the district also supports reducing the number of end of course exams from 15 to five.

And, Six years ago, the Bryan city council received lots of attention in the process of passing a first-ever juvenile curfew.  This week, Mayor Jason Bienski noted no one showed up at the public hearing before the council gave first-round approval to continue the curfew in its current form.   Police Chief Eric Buske says the curfew is one of several tools to reduce the number of crimes committed by those under the age of 18. Since 2006, a 30 percent reduction in juvenile crime has been recorded.  The chief’s report to the council also noted over the last three years, a 21 percent total decrease in juvenile involvement with law enforcement and a 40 percent drop in juveniles arrested during the curfew hours of midnight to five am.  This is the second review of the juvenile curfew since the council adopted it six years ago.